Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Perrysville Union Cemetery - Mayflower connection

On 25 May 2015, Memorial Day, I found my 3rd Great Grandparents, Hezekiah and Charity (Turner) Gorham's tombstones. I searched for almost an odyssey looking for them. As small as it is, I never found their resting place until that date.  I went down to the cemetery to try to find them, but didn't after finding most the children buried nearby.  I photographed their tombstones as well before the inscription fades to nothing.  Just as I walked out the little gate I entered to get back into my vehicle to drive home empty handed, I spotted one of the daughter's large tomstone.  The daughter's tombstone was Lucy's of whose I saw and became drawn.  Once I saw her's, the next tombstone to my right I saw was Hezekiah's and Charity's.

The picture below is one stone with three inscriptions on it.  The next inscription to the left is Charity's and the last inscription is their daughter Cordelia's.  Hezekiah was a ship master born in Yarmouth, Massachusetts and probably was a merchant shipper like his brothers.  Very little is known about him other than he sailed commanded ships.  His wife Charity was born in Vermont.  They married in Flushing, New York and the first two children were born there before the family moved to Baltimore, Maryland then to Perrysville, Ohio.  Hezekiah is my Mayflower ancestor and found the links  using Yarmouth Town Records.  His parents are buried in Woodside Cemetery, Yarmouth Port, Massachusetts while the older generations are buried in Ancient Cemetery about 3 miles to the northeast.

No comments:

Post a Comment